“We created these beautiful social media icons that blend in with the design of our site, but we hardly get any new followers :(”
What do you think is going on in this scenario? Take a look at the above sentence again. Anything catch your attention?
If you want people to see something, it needs to stand out! While icons that are small or that blend in with the site will look aesthetically pleasing, you won’t be achieving your goal of getting more followers. People are used to seeing the icons, and may even be looking for them. So make sure they’re easy to find!
- Make sure your social media icons are clearly visible at the top of your page, as well as in the footer.
- Get a widget (like AddThis) that floats your social media icons at the top of the page as the user scrolls down.
- Increase the size of the social media icons (to a reasonable size, of course – you still don’t want to be obnoxious!).
- Make sure there is plenty of white space around the icons so they are easily visible and don’t get drowned out by clutter on the rest of your site.
- If your social media icons blend in with the design of your site, switch them to icons that use the traditional colors instead (e.g. blue for Facebook, red for Pinterest, etc.).